John Boyd, widely regarded as among the most influential of modern military thinkers, developed a theory of effective action in dynamic situations. Called by Boyd the "OODA Loop" it consists of four steps
- Observe -- Using your senses, pay attention to current reality.
- Orient -- Conceptuualize, determining the identity and significance of the entities and actions you observed.
- Decide -- Choose what you will do.
- Act -- Take action.
The loop is run in an iterative process to stay in context with reality, no matter how rapidly a context is changing, adjusting the speed of iteration to the dynamism of the context, so that one is alsways conceptualizing, deciding, and acting on the basis of reality.
- Destruction and Creation – John Boyd integrated all of his ideas about effective, reality-based action in dynamic contexts into this, his final paper.
- John Boyd @ Wikipedia – Biography of John Boyd, military strategist and creator of the OODA loop.